Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Travel-Themed Set

After my last sewing project, I had it in my head to make a gift set for my sister. When I do gifts, I like to make sets with 3 things. Three just seems "complete" to me. But it took me a while to finally decide what three items to make. When I was planning this project, I found out my sister would be doing a bit of traveling so I thought a travel-themed set would be nice. I decided to take it a step further and try my hand at hand-stitching to personalize it with her initial.

Unfortunately, my timing was way off so instead of being used on her trip to Hong Kong and Japan, these pieces are still sitting in my work room.

Last Saturday, I literally spent the entire day at my table, cutting, sewing and embroidering. My eyes were completely blurry by the end but I was so excited to have finished three pieces! Luckily, I got to Skype with my sister that night to share the excitement with her, and now I can share it with you as well.


1. Journal Cover. I like to do a lot of journaling as another way to document my trips. I thought she might like a travel journal as well. If not, well, she'll just have another journal.

2. Passport Sleeve. This time around, I used interfacing to give it a little more structure. It's more sturdy than my previous sleeves, and hopefully that means it can be well-used.

3. Zippered Pouch. I've been wanting to try making something with a zipper but I didn't want to buy a zipper foot and then have to change the feet so I've been putting it off. Then, I found tutorials on how to install zippers without all the extra work. I know, it sounds lazy but it saves me time and the results are just as good I think.

Next time, I'll use a lighter interfacing because the way it's made this time, you could use this pouch as a pillow if you stick a few things inside. It's that padded.

So what do you think? Is this gear worthy of galavanting around the world with?

2 comments:

  1. YES!
    You can take home the favourite sister award along with your favourite daughter award! HAHA (: SO EXCITED!!!

    hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you also get my favourite wife award :) happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...