Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

The Praying Mantis

One day, while Caleb and I were looking out the back window, I spotted a praying mantis slowly making its way across our patio.

It moved so slowly and I was itching to take photos of it. But I couldn't because Nathan's principal was on the phone and the conversation went on for a while.

The whole time I watched this mantis hoping that maybe it would stop and wait for me, but it kept on moving.

As soon as I got off the phone, I went out to look for the praying mantis but it was already in the pebbles. Trying to seize every educational opportunity, I brought Caleb out with me to look at the bug.


Its green body definitely didn't stand out against the pebble as much as it did against our white tile. I was bummed.

However, I didn't want to waste this opportunity. I mean, how often do you see a praying mantis anyway? I decided to be a little bold and try to get a picture of the front of the mantis.


I asked Caleb to wait for me on the tile as I quietly crept around the praying mantis, hoping not to scare it. Because then, it would scare me.


Caleb had other ideas; if I was allowed on the pebbles, so was he. Here's the picture I snapped as I jumped back in fright when Caleb scared the mantis which suddenly skittered away, which scared the daylights out of me.


What was the whole walking slowly across my patio thing about anyway? Some kind of act? Some kind of attempt to appear old and wise like in the movies?!

Here's the shot I got of Caleb once I regained composure. Can you see the little mantis quivering beside the wall? I was doing the same thing about a foot away.


Here's a close-up of the mantis quivering.


I was bold and got in real close again but this time I just quickly snapped a shot before I leapt back to the safety of our patio and scooped Caleb up to scold him for scaring the life out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...