Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Orange Zest Pound Cake

Nothing reminds me of my childhood home more than the buttery smell of a citrus pound cake baking in the oven. I remember my mom baking these for us off a handwritten recipe. She wouldn't make it too often because it uses half a carton of eggs and half a block of butter, but when she did, it was always good.

With all the uncertainty of where "home" will be next year, I needed a bit of grounding so I emailed my mom to see if she could scan the recipe for me. The page has been so well-loved over the years, covered in stains and torn, and written in Chinese but luckily, my mom translated it for me.


ORANGE ZEST POUND CAKE

Ingredients:
1/2 lb butter (250g)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk
zest from one orange (or whatever citrus you have on hand)

Directions:
Cream together sugar with softened butter, add the egg yolks and mix well.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into buttery mixture, mix, adding milk once incorporated.
Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form, then fold into the mixture.
Bake at 350°F/176°C for one hour.

Notes:
It tastes so much better cut into thick slices. If you want to have a smaller piece, cut a thick piece in half. It makes a difference.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...