Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Homemade Flour Tortillas

Last Wednesday, we were supposed to have fajitas for dinner. We bought all the filling ingredients and completely forgot that we had used up all our tortillas. I was feeling too lazy to drive out to the shops, even though I was already out for an appointment, so I looked up a recipe for us to make the tortillas instead. Does that still make me lazy?

The recipe I came across claims to be the "Best ever homemade flour tortillas" and normally, I'm skeptical about these claims but upon further reading, the author seemed to have tested enough recipes to know what's what.

I don't have a stand mixer with a dough hook here but Caleb and I mixed the dough together in minutes. It was so easy. We divided the dough into 16 balls, flattened them a little and let them sit while Caleb ran upstairs for a shower. When he was finished, it was time to roll out the dough.


It didn't take much to roll them out nice and thin. At first, I had to remind Caleb to lift the rolling pin before bringing it back because his vigorous rolling would cause the dough to fold back on itself. Caleb takes his work very seriously and he made sure that if the dough did fold back, he would carefully unfold it before continuing.


Our tortillas weren't all perfect. Some were irregularly shaped, but they could still hold the fajita fillings and considering my 4-year-old made them himself, I really didn't mind. I wish I got a picture of the final product but the boys were too hungry.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups flour (I used 1/2 cup wholemeal + 2 1/2 cup plain)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup warm water
Directions:
  1. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Add oil and water while mixing, scraping the sides until a ball of dough forms. Continue for another minute or so until the dough is smooth.
  2. Transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and divide into 16 balls. Flatten, then cover with a clean kitchen towel to rest for about 15 minutes. 
  3. After rest period, heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Roll out each piece of dough into rough circles, approximately 6-7 inches in diameter.
  4. Place one tortilla into the hot pan at a time. Cook for about 1 minute until bottom surface has a few pale brown spots and top surface starts to bubble. Flip, and cook for another 30 seconds.
Notes: 
Do not stack the uncooked tortillas - they will stick together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...