Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Grey Matter

As I clicked away at the computer last night, Nathan stood beside me and read the cover of the book I am currently reading.

It went a little something like this:

N: Gr---e--y... Grey! Grey what?
B: Read it!
N: M-aaa-tt-eeee-r... Grey Matter!
B: You got it!
N {flipping through book finding my bookmark still near the beginning}: You're not done reading yet?
B: No..
N: Well read it! Hurry up. I need to read it soon.

Nathan's reading has gotten so much better in the past couple months. He's becoming more fluent and remembering consonant blends regularly. He practices at almost every chance, reading words from books, signs and his LEGO Batman game.

I'm always so impressed by words he can figure out, especially when his sounding the words out isn't quite accurate. He always arrives at the correct pronunciation. What also amazes me is his ability to sound out words in his head, as in when you spell something out loud for him, he puts the sounds together in his head without seeing the letters written out. That, my friend, is talent. Even I have difficulty with that sometimes.

I wouldn't be surprised if he started reading parts of my book very soon.

* * * * * * * * * *

Speaking of this book I am currently reading, Nathan's not the only one who's itching to get his hands on it. Andrew tried to steal it from me the other night.

I ordered this book, Grey Matter by David Levy from The Book Depository on a whim. I had never heard of this book before, but as I was clicking around, somehow it caught my attention.

I don't know if it's because Andrew's in med school and I'm being even more drawn to things of a medical nature, or because I'm missing my medical dramas (Grey's Anatomy? House? Private Practice?), or because of how the title was a play on words, relating two intriguing issues: neurosurgery and prayer.

Whatever the reason, I ended up ordering this book and of all the books I had bought, this one arrived first.

For the first time in more than a year, yesterday I read a book for leisure. For myself.

I haven't finished it yet, but when I do, I'll perhaps post a word or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...