Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mirror, Mirror

When we first went to visit Nathan's new school, one of the first things he did was sit in front of a mirror and look at himself. One of us quickly made a light-hearted comment about how Nathan likes looking at himself in the mirror.

But the teacher was quick to inform us that looking at themselves in a mirror is a very rewarding experience for a child. It allows them to see themselves in the moment and remind themselves that "this is me, I am here". Especially in the chaos of being surrounded by so many other people, it lets them see themselves. It has a grounding effect and helps them refocus. That is why they have multiple mirrors placed strategically throughout the classroom.

I believe her.

Caleb also finds seeing himself in the mirror enjoyable. It's one of his happiest moments in the day.


And sometimes when my day is too overwhelming for me, I find myself moving towards a mirror so I can see myself in the moment and remind myself of why I'm here.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...