Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

Alternate title: I am one lucky girl.

I was reminded this year that on Mother's Day, you don't stop being a mother. Just like on your birthday, you don't cease to exist.

Sure, a lot of the time mothers get a day off on Mother's Day. But there are also a lot of mothers who don't have the luxury of taking a day off.

This past weekend, I did the laundry, vacuumed the condo, washed dishes, picked up Lego and had half my head of hair pulled out.

Now before you get any ideas about how selfless I was being, I should let you know that all the while, I was thinking about how unfair it was that we weren't out doing something fun to celebrate Mother's Day, how maybe I should indulge myself in a day at the spa because I somehow deserved it.

No, I was being far from noble.

But besides these everyday chores, I also got to experience the joys of motherhood - the moments that are weaved into our daily lives that are so easily missed if we don't take the time to take part in them.

I listened as Nathan spoke to our families over Skype. His conversation skills never cease to amaze me. He is always so thoughtful, asking everyone how their days were. I watched as he worked through things he's struggling with. He may not always give us the answer we're looking for, but he'll give you his answer and I appreciate his honesty. I love how generous and kind he is. For dinner today, he got upset with us for having leftovers because he felt that we should have done something more to celebrate Mother's Day.

This weekend, I watched as Caleb started creeping around on his belly. He's almost crawling and it's amazing how fast he can move already. Once his little heart is set on doing something, the little guy will stop at nothing to get it. He made his way towards Nathan's Lego when he was on the ground. He'll wait patiently for the perfect moment to grab at your food while you're trying to eat. Caleb would not stop moving around our bed while we did Nathan's bedtime stories tonight.

I'm so lucky to be a mother to these two beautiful boys. Full of life in so many different ways.

So looking back, I'm glad we didn't have anything spectacular planned for this past weekend because it gave me a chance to experience something even more beautiful and lasting.

Plus, Andrew did manage to squeeze in some time away from writing his essay to make me a Mother's Day video and bake some brownies. Yes, Andrew, I'll let you pass your essay brownies off as Mother's Day brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...