Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Comfort Meatballs

I made meatballs on a whim today.

It's crossed my mind before but the idea of rolling raw ground beef into little balls kind of turned me off.

Until today.

One of the school moms was cooking meatballs for dinner one day when Nathan was over for a play and I thought it was such a great idea. I used to make frozen meatballs all the time, but the fresh ones looked yummy. However, I didn't want to use store-bought ones. I wanted to make my own.

Originally, I was going to wait until I came back from my trip to give it a try, but then I thought, why wait? I quickly searched and found a recipe: Comfort Meatballs by Ree Drummond.

As I rolled the meatballs, I thought to myself "I really hope these taste good, it better be worth all this work" because boy did I need a bit of comfort today.


Backstory:
First, I got a nasty glare from an impatient lady because apparently I was taking too long buckling Caleb into his carseat while she waited for my parking spot. I wasn't taking any longer than I normally would.


Then, I got called something nasty over the phone by the possum guy because I had to pick Nathan up from school and go to a parent teacher meeting instead of sitting around at home waiting for him to show up at the door whenever he pleased. Is it really that hard for him to call before he comes to make sure I'm home instead of just showing up and expecting me to be there?


And finally, some kid I don't even know decides to rub me the wrong way and talk back to me about something that wasn't even any of his business. What is it with kids these days? (Yes, I realized I sound really old right now.)

When dinner finally rolled around and I pulled these meatballs out of the oven, they smelled divine.

And luckily, they tasted delicious, and that was comforting. At least in all the mess of today, something turned out right.


I definitely recommend giving these meatballs a try, especially if you want an easy comfort food.

If you're pressed for time and just want to get it done, use this version of the recipe.

If you've got a bit of time on your hands and like step-by-step pictures with your recipes like I do, you'll definitely want to give this version a look.

Note: I didn't have Worcestershire sauce, or Tabasco sauce on hand, and I chose not to add vinegar. Instead, I used some soy sauce and a squeeze of lime juice; maybe about 1tbsp of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...