Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Christmas In July Blog Hop

Alternate Title:   Project Life 2013: Week 17



Welcome to the Christmas in July Blog Hop, inspiring you to get out your Christmas stash and use it before the new collections are introduced at CHA this month. Join the fun and create something, too. Don't forget to use the hashtag #scrapbookchristmas in Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.


Hello!

My journey into papercrafting began with making Christmas cards. Over time, my interests evolved and I began scrapbooking when my family moved to Australia. Since then, I've also been documenting memories through Project Life.


Through all that, Christmas products have always held a special place in my heart. Christmas is one of my favourite times of the year and I love making things, be it cards, gift tags or a gift for someone. But it's also a very busy time of the year for our family and despite my best intentions to scrapbook the holidays or December Daily the month, all my Christmas supplies end up unused.


Take for example, the Studio Calico kits I bought last December.



The main kit and both add-ons I bought are still pretty much fully intact. So when Ruth proposed Christmas in July to use up my Christmas stash, I was all for it. Since I know that scrapbooking Christmas isn't my forte, I decided to look for ways to use up my Christmas stash in non-Christmas projects.



I recently received my order of photos for Project Life. I'm quite a few weeks behind so I had a lot to choose from and Week 17 seemed like it had the most red/green/brown coloured photos, which fits the traditional Christmas colour theme.



Then, I narrowed it down to the papers from the Kris Kringle add-on, just to make things easier for myself.


This is the final spread.



The cream coloured piece with brown script was perfect for the photos of the ice cream and crepes. I love that it makes my food look sorta classy.



The green paper with stars was a fun piece to use, it's green but not your traditional Christmas evergreen colour. It worked out really well for that piece with Caleb and his puzzles. It matched with the colour of some of his puzzles and on the reverse side was that awesome arrows paper which was the perfect background for that title.


I had no idea Caleb would be so interested in doing puzzles. Nathan never liked them and I almost didn't bother with Caleb, but I'm so glad I did because he absolutely loves them!



Except for the two red sheets, all the patterned papers could very easily be used for other occasions. I find that when papers are part of a kit, I can only see them as a whole. So instead of seeing a very versatile polkadot, script or pattern, I only see "Christmas paper". 



By taking them out and holding them away from the rest of the kit, I could see them in a different way and incorporate them into a non-Christmas layout.



I hope this helped to inspire you to use up some of your Christmas stash! 


Thanks for stopping by, your next stop is: Theresa.



In case you get lost at any point, here is the list all the blogs

Ros - http://noteverypicturezperfect.blogspot.com.au/




Note: Sorry about the delay in publishing. This post was scheduled to go up at 10pm AEST but for whatever reason Blogger didn't publish and still hasn't. 

11 comments:

  1. i love the papers you have used in your spread! looks great! you're a square edge girl like myself...although i am on the verge of mixing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your PL work! Great job of using Christmas papers for non Christmas projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a great idea! I have a TON of Christmas paper leftover from past kits that I'll probably never use. I should start pulling those papers to use elsewhere too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!! I love how you used the Christmas kit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of themed items in a non-themed way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first visit to your blog, so "hello!" :)
    Your PL looks great and I am amazed at how you re-purposed you Christmas supplies - something I find very challenging. Thanks for the inspo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, blogger didn't publish my post either! I love how you showed a way to use your stash in a non Christmas way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you used your Christmas stash for a PL layout in April. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) I'm sure blogger doesn't like Aussie timezones, I used to constantly have issues with it publishing!

    Gorgeous pages by the way - great to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your gorgeous work. There is no way you can tell that you used a Christmas kit for that. Awesome ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your use of colours, very inspiring Bernice!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...