Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Homemade Kettle Corn

I am never buying microwave popcorn again!

I had no idea it was so quick and easy to make popcorn from kernels, without a popcorn machine. But this afternoon, I was feeling a little cold and peckish and thought some warm kettle corn might be nice. Except I had no idea where I was going to find any kettle corn in this neck of the woods.

Remembering I had a bag of popcorn kernels in my pantry, I looked up a recipe for homemade kettle corn, and here it is:


Homemade Kettle Corn (adapted from Savory Sweet Life)

Ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels (1/4 cup)
1/3 cup sugar (about 1 tbsp)
3/4 tsp salt (about 1/4 tsp)

Directions
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once heated, add 3 kernels to test - only after those kernels pop should the rest of the ingredients be added.
2. Add popcorn and sugar to the pot, giving it a quick stir, then cover with lid.
3. Once popcorn stars popping, pick it up and give it a quick shake every few seconds until popping slows down. Remove immediately from heat and pour into a large bowl, or it will caramelize and burn.
4. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.

Notes
The amounts I actually used are in parenthesis. I only had a medium-sized pot so I ended up using only half the kernels. And since they began to pop right away, I only had time to sprinkle a light dusting of sugar over the kernels before placing the lid on the pot.

Turns out using less kernels was a good idea because when I opened the lid, it was almost filled to the top with popcorn. A little goes a long way.
Also, one kernel exploded while the lid was off and it went flying across the kitchen, so be careful. Lids are absolutely necessary.
I seasoned my popcorn with another light dusting of sugar and a light sprinkling of salt - way less than what the recipe called for and it still tasted amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...