Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Gingerbread Cookies

We did some Christmas baking with our friends and their kids over the weekend and gingerbread cookies were on the list. I've never been inclined to make gingerbread cookies because every time I've had a store bought one, they're hard and dry and rather tasteless.

But since they requested it, I played along and made the cookies with the kids. After they finished decorating, Andrew and my friend, Darrelyn enjoyed a few. They couldn't believe how good they tasted. I wasn't convinced so I didn't have one.

The next morning, I was feeling a little peckish having not eaten breakfast so I decided to take a nibble off of a gingerbread man's leg. Next thing I knew, I had devoured the entire man.

So even though I've never enjoyed gingerbread, I'm changing my mind and this recipe going into my recipe book.


GINGERBREAD COOKIES (from Cora's)

Ingredients
2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
1 1⁄2 tsp ground cloves
1⁄2 tsp salt
1 cup softened butter
1 egg
1 cup brown sugar packed
1⁄4 cup molasses

Directions
1. Sift the flour. Add the baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Mix well and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, cream the butter. Add the egg, brown sugar and molasses. Mix to a smooth paste.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix well. Refrigerate the cookie dough for one hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
5. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 6 mm (1/4 in). Cut out the cookies in the desired shape using a cookie cutter and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are firm. Cooking time will vary with cookie thickness.
7. Allow to cool and decorate as desired.


Notes
The good thing about baking in the snowy winter is that we just put the dough outside for a little bit to chill. It helps to make the dough less sticky and more firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...