Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Turkish-Spiced Chicken Kebabs

This recipe made me cry uncontrollably for 5 minutes. You know that burning sensation you feel in your eyes sometimes when you cut onions? Well, it's a thousand times worse when you're grating an onion. I used a cheese grater. Does anyone know a better way?


I mixed all the spices, cut up the meat and let it marinate for a couple hours. Then, I thread the chicken pieces onto a skewer. I put more than the recommended amount on each skewer, hoping that if I packed them a little tighter together, it would help retain the flavour and moister a bit better.


It takes a lot less time than I thought to cook these kebabs. By the time we had them all finished though, I forgot to take a picture before we devoured them so this is the best I can do for now. I have a feeling we'll be making this again in the near future, maybe next time I'll wear goggles.



TURKISH-SPICED CHICKEN KEBABS (adapted from Epicurious)

Ingredients
1/2 cup coarsely grated onion
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Baharat (spice mix)
4 skinless chicken breasts/thighs, cut into pieces
skewers

Directions
Whisk first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Marinate at room temperature for 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven to 200°C. Thread 6 chicken pieces onto each skewer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on small rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Broil chicken until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes per side.

Notes
As I sit here and write this recipe out, I'm realizing that I used way more than the 2tsp of Baharat the recipe calls for. In fact, I used the entire yield the Baharat recipe makes. No wonder the kebabs tasted so awesomely flavourful. It was a mistake, but I'm doing it again next time.

2 comments:

  1. Check out a salad shooter, it will do the work without the tears. Definitely going to try this. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll definitely check it out!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...