Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Kale Chips

This year, I'm trying to take a step out of my culinary comfort zone and eat different, hopefully healthier, foods. After hearing people rave about kale for years now, I finally went and bought myself a few bunches.

It was a little intimidating to see so much kale sitting in my kitchen. I had no idea what to do with it and I wasn't about to make a green smoothie - I'm not quite there yet. I stirred a bit into some meat sauce for my lasagna. But I was still left with a lot of kale. A friend had been making kale chips recently, so I decided to give it a try.


Wash kale and tear the leaves off the stems into bite-sized pieces. I've found that bigger pieces are better as they're quite brittle after baking and tend to break into smaller pieces anyway. I don't own a salad spinner so I shook out the leaves and let them air dry a bit on these racks we inherited from our good friends who were moved to the states.


Put the kale to a bowl and toss with olive oil and sea salt flakes - they stick to the leaves better so you end up using a lot less. Lay the pieces out on a tray lined with baking paper.


Heat oven to 175°C (350°F) and bake each tray for about 5-7 minutes. Be careful not to let the edges brown.


Try to convince your 3-year-old to save some for his brother. I had no idea Caleb would like kale chips so much! Kale chips are super easy to make and even Andrew approves of them, so we'll definitely be making more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...