Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Straddie Day 3: Home Beach, Kangaroos and the Heritage Trail


It rained all through the night our second night, but by the morning, most of the clouds had cleared and the weather was perfect for us to watch the sunrise from Point Lookout.


We slept in a little, but we made it there in time to find a good spot to watch the sun peek out over the horizon. Such a beautiful and peaceful way to start off the day. 


In our rush out the door, we managed to grab some cheese and crackers for the boys to munch on while we waited for the sun to come up so that kept them happy.


We walked along the trail to the North Gorge for a different view of the sunrise. I love how the sunrise coming in at an angle completely changes the look of things. The rocks were glowing in the golden light.


As we were admiring the sunrise and looking for dolphins, Caleb spotted a hole in the rocks and wanted to climb through it. Andrew went down to check it out and after he climbed up through the hole, he brought the boys down so they could try as well. 


It's hard to tell from this photo but the boys were at least 8 feet down. Andrew lifted Caleb up through the hole to me but Nathan put his rock climbing skills to use and scaled the rocks without very much help from Andrew. 


Then, we went back to the few shops in town and did a bit of window shopping. We also picked up some postcards to send home and a new hat for Andrew.


We stopped for another gelato treat with Indiana Jones. Then, we realized it was lunch time so we picked up some fish and chips takeaway from the shop next door.


Lunch with a view. Yum ;)


We spent part of the afternoon on Home Beach. It's the beach directly across from where we stayed but it's also the designated beach for dogs to run off-leash. I walked half the beach, but I felt a little creeped out by the shadowy trees, and the ones half sticking out of the sand. It reminded me a little bit of a barren wasteland and I was almost worried about animals running out of the trees to eat me. And honestly, by this point I was tired of walking the beaches so I went back to my blanket and my book.


The boys loved this half-buried tree that stuck out beside where I was sitting. Caleb decided to swing on a branch and Nathan came to hang out for a bit before it started to rain and we had to run back to the car. 


There's not a whole lot to do when it rains on Straddie. We probably should have done a bit more research before we left home. We sat in the car writing postcards as we waited for the rain to pass.


Eventually, we decided to drive along the Heritage Trail to see bits of Straddie history from the comfort of our car. As we went, we found a family of kangaroos that had come out to graze on somebody's front lawn. We circled back for a closer look, closer than I would have liked considering this dude was on my side of the car and it was my window rolled all the way down. I didn't think this kangaroo would attack, but if he did, I'd be pulverized for sure!


We ended off our day watching the sunset from the jetty in Amity before making our way back home.

1 comment:

  1. Seeing those kangaroos was such a fun surprise :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...