Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pear Cake

The first time I had pear cake, my mom had made it and I wasn't sure if I would like it. It's nothing against my mom's baking. She's actually the one who got me started in it. I'm just not a huge fan of pears but once I tried it, I fell in love.

Here's a quick and simple recipe, easy enough to whip up as an after school snack (or afternoon tea as the Aussies like to call it) and good enough to share with guests. Every single time I make it, it disappears within a day or two so you might want to make more than one.

This recipe is adapted from the upside down pear cake recipe my mom originally used. If you'd like to make it that way, simply line your pan with parchment paper after greasing and turn it over onto a plate after cooling for 5 minutes, then dust with icing sugar and cinnamon (if you like).


Ingredients:
3 ripened bosc pears
3/4 cup (180mL) softened butter
3/4 cup sugar PLUS 2 tbsp
3 eggs
1 cup flour PLUS 2 tbsp
3 tbsp milk

Directions:
1. Grease 8" pan and arrange pear halves evenly over the bottom.
2. Cream together butter and sugar.
3. Add eggs in one at a time.
4. Mix in flour, then milk.
5. Spoon batter over pears and smooth surface.
6. Bake in 350F (180C) oven for 45 minutes or until surface is firm.

Notes:
I like to mix the batter first so it's ready to spread on top of the pears, that way the pears don't turn brown while they're waiting.
I've been using Bartlett pears instead of bosc pears, it works out fine. You can probably experiment with the variety and amount of pears, adjusting it to your own preference. But don't hold me to that. I'm not a professional chef.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...