Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mango Ice Cream

Mangoes are in season here right now and Andrew brought home a tray of the largest mangoes I've ever seen.

I've been trying to think up ways to use up these beautiful, delicious-smelling mangoes and since we're heading into prime ice cream season, I thought now would be a good time to christen my ice cream maker.


Unfortunately, the recipe I used ended up using only one of the twelve mangoes so I'll have to think of some new ways to finish off the rest, well, besides eating them as is of course.


Anyway, as the boys were finishing dinner, I quickly blended the ingredients together and waited for Nathan so he could help finish the mixing the cream in before we poured it into the mixer.


As simple as it was, Nathan liked being part of the cooking process. So even though I could have just whipped up the entire recipe myself, I consciously decided to wait for him.


We poured the mango mixture into the ice cream maker and watched for a little as the edges began to solidify.


At this point, I sent Nathan off to take his shower. By the time he finished, the ice cream was ready and we all had a little frozen treat before bed.


The ice cream was so light, it was almost fluffy. I liked the more solid parts that I scraped from the bottom (read: colder part) of the mixing bowl. But the flavour was great.


 There's nothing quite like freshly churned ice cream!

MANGO ICE CREAM (from Not Quite Nigella)

Ingredients 
1 1/3 cup mango flesh
2/3 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup cream

Directions
1. Blend first four ingredients.
2. Stir in cream. (Doesn't have to be completely incorporated if using an ice cream maker)
3. Pour into ice cream maker and churn for about 25 minutes.
4. OR Freeze mixture overnight and let it ripen for 20 minutes before serving.

Notes
You can use up to 1 cup of sugar for this recipe but I decided not to go that route. It's sweet enough without the extra 1/3 cup.

3 comments:

  1. That looks really yummy. What a fun thing to make with a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

    and post below...
    brings home his plaits???
    suppose its brain gym....crossing over as you plait!!
    love all the other activities too

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh that looks awesome!! have to try that someday.. and what a handsome little helper you have there ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...