Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Finding Treasures

While Andrew's parents were visiting, we brought them to the Gold Coast for an afternoon at one of our favourite spots.


After a nice lunch at Peter's, we headed for the beach but when we got there, it was nothing like we had ever seen before.

Every other time we visited that exact beach, the sand was pristine and the water was clear as far as the eye could see. This time when we arrived, the sand was covered in all sorts of debris and there was seaweed and twigs being tossed in the waves.


Oh, and a sandbar with fish and jellyfish trapped between it and the shore. The boys loved being able to stand on their own two feet all the way out there.

I can only assume that this is all due to ex-Tropical Cyclone Oswald that moved through Queensland a week earlier.

Normally, I prefer the white sandy beaches because you never have to worry about stepping on anything hard or sharp. But sometimes, I miss the opportunity to find treasures in the sand so this time around, I didn't mind the rocks and shells poking at my feet as much.


I dragged Andrew with me for a walk along the shore to look for shells and rocks to add to my collection. As you can see, he didn't mind one bit.

Further along the beach, we found a jellyfish that had been caught in the sand as the tide went out. This was one of many that dotted the beach that day.


I was amazed by the size of this jellyfish. It was about as big as a (deflated) soccer ball! The boys were fascinated but I had to warn them not to touch it - just in case.


I wonder if I can convince Andrew to go back to see what other treasures we can find!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...