Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Good Night, Supermoon

A few days ago, a very reliable source (aka the Project Life Australia group on Facebook*) informed me that the largest and closest full moon of the year would be visible that night. Of course, I was busy with the boys' bedtime routine after a late birthday party so I completely forgot. 

The next night, we saw the moon on the way back from dinner. It was still pretty low in the sky, it was enormous and a beautiful orange colour. The boys were fascinated. Unfortunately, by the time we got home, we couldn't see the moon anymore so again, I couldn't get a picture.

I was beginning to lose hope in getting a picture of the supermoon, until tonight when Andrew called me over to our room**. The moon shone brightly in the sky. Immediately, I asked him to grab our big camera (read: dSLR) and "take a walk". Yes, I kicked him out of the house in the freezing cold to get a picture of the supermoon. And of course, being the wonderful husband that he is, he obliged.


This was not quite what I had in mind, but I thanked him for his efforts then took our camera and hopped onto our bed to see if I could get a better shot.

My camera is no where near strong enough to get an awesome photo of the moon but I had to try. I zoomed in as far as it would go (which is not far at all), played around with the exposure time and started shooting.

A bunch of the photos I got turned out like this. Kind of eerie and beautiful.


I played around with the settings some more and eventually, I got this picture.


While I was standing on my bed, I did a quick check to see if that little white dot was just a white dot, or if there was more to it. And there was! I can't believe I can see the surface of the moon in this picture! 


And with that, I can finally head off to bed.

Good night, supermoon!


*I can always count on PLA to keep me up to date with events like this. We document life and these things are part of it. Plus, they're so much more on top of things than I am!
**Andrew did note that this wouldn't really be considered a full moon anymore because it had begun to shift phases and it was actually a little smaller than a full moon. Technicalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...