Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Caramel Slice

This is one of my favourite desserts that I've discovered since moving to Australia. One of our friends made it for us and I immediately asked her for the recipe. Unfortunately, I misplaced that one (a downfall of storing recipes on apps) so I had to go searching for a new one. 

It must be an Australian thing because when I brought it out at a friend's dinner party the other day, all the Australians knew what it was. 

For my own batch, I sprinkled some salt flakes on top, just to see what it would taste like since salted chocolate and salted caramel are so big these days. I think it tastes fine with or without the salt.


CARAMEL SLICE (from Taste.com.au)

Ingredients
Base
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter, melted

Filling
400g can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
60g butter, melted

Topping
125g cooking chocolate, chopped

Directions
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 3cm deep, 28x28cm pan.

Base. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well and press into prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden. Remove from oven, cool.

Filling. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking for 8 minutes or until golden. Pour over cooked base. Bake for 12 minutes or until firm. Cool completely then refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until set.

Topping. Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and microwave in short increments (10 seconds), stirring in between until melted. Pour over caramel, refrigerate to set. Cut into squares to serve.

Notes
Original recipe calls for 60g copha (vegetable shortening) to be combined with chocolate for topping but I thought that was unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...